Sunday, January 02, 2005

New Year, Old Tactics

It is a new year and yet we go back to our old tactics for parenting. Isn't it amazing how the cycle of maturation flows back toward our first thoughts as parents. Charlotte is throwing new challenges our way as she insists on multiple answers to decisions and uses tears as a way to get her way. It is square one and memories of "ferberizing" and mini-tantrums that are now matched with a word master.

Here is a short scenario at breakfast:

Me: "I'll give you two choices for breakfast - hot cereal or cheerios" and I show her.
Her: "I want cold cereal"
Me: "Okay, we're having cold cereal"
Her: As i go off to the kitchen "No, I don't want cold cereal.
Me: Returning with the boxes "One more chance. Which do you want?"
Her: "I want Cheerios".
Me: Going back to the kitchen
Her: From her chair, "I don't want cold cereal.
Me: "That is what you picked and we're both having cold cereal.
Her: A bit of protest and some fake wailing.
She does eat ALL of her cereal as I eat as well. I tell her a "Lassie" story in between bites and jotting down some Thank you notes for all the generous gifts and hospitaliy we received over our holiday vacation in NY. Just as I said...it is back to firm loving stances that are backed by eachother in every way. Together, David and I can make Year Two a joyous time of exploration and choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home